This week has got to go down as one of my least favorite weeks. Ever. Monday around 10:30 we (the staff at school) got the terrible news that one of our senior students had been killed in a car accident. I didn't have this student, but I've had his younger brother for 2 years. I always talk to mom at parent teacher conferences and could pick her out of a crowd. It's been a long somber week at school, to say the least. Death #4 in 2008.
On top of that, I had bus duty before and after school. I hate bus duty. One would not believe what hooligans high school students are until one has bus duty. I got off easy this year. Last year I had bus duty during a week when it had snowed. Kids were throwing snowballs. One of those snowballs hit someone in the face. Startled, the kid dropped his iPod under the bus - and it broke. Then a fight broke out. Being the huge, strong and beefy woman that I am, I got right in the middle and broke it up! I'm glad bus duty is over. Phew.
I had to lecture 3 of my classes on why they shouldn't draw penises on the folders I use to keep them from cheating. Ok - actually that was funny because they were shocked to hear one of their teachers actually say the word "penis".
Ok - enough ranting. I'm very thankful for our principals. They have been incredibly supportive of the parent issues I've had this week- as well as the district coordinator for foreign language. My colleagues have been fabulous - sending notes of encouragement and simply siding with me because they're nice. They make it worth going to work every day - and my 5th block class - but they're another story. My husband was great too - sending voicemails, e-mails, packing notes in my lunch - he's just great. I don't know what I'd do without him. The week ended well enough too. We got to have some awesome hangout time just the two of us. Tomorrow I get to see Mark, Emily and James. I got to talk to my dear friend Jenny last night on the phone. I still can't believe I've known her for 19 years. Even though the week was tough, there were lots of good things - God was gracious. As always.
Thanksgiving is coming. I'm so excited. I love big family events. I love my family. I'm ready to give thanks.
School Starts Again
2 weeks ago

6 comments:
Uggg! I had a horrid week too! And we had a student die in a car accident a few weeks ago. WHY!
I'm sorry you had SUCH a rough week though b/c while mine was probably one of my worst all year at least a parent didn't make me cry and feel like crap....that's horrible!
I'm glad you have great co-workers - and Brian to be there for you!
Have fun with the Mark, Em, and James! I'm jealous!
We're excited to see you both tonight! I'll have to get details on your craz-o week!
I'm sorry Andrea. If you want to tell me where this woman lives, Addison and I can go egg her car for you.
I'm glad you have a supportive principal and such a wonderful husband.
I really hope next week is better for you.
Love you!
Thanks for reminding me why I am not a teacher. :)
That does sound like a rough week! You sound like me when I quit Social Work! I made that same "I don't make enough to deal with this!" comment! lol
Hang in there though, I'm sure things will get better.
I can't belive parents don't understand some kids just aren't good at certain things (or not willing to put forth the effort!)
Andrea!! Wow, you should get a medal or badge or SOMETHING for all the craziness being on bus duty! And how sad to hear about another death of another student. I'm sure any encouragment you can offer that family is much appreciated, especially so close to Thanksgiving.
Thanks for commenting on our blog! It's so cool how people get reconnected through these things. Enjoy Turkey Day!!
Marisa and Ava :)
Post a Comment