Sunday, August 23, 2009

Weekends Past, Part 1

The weekend right before school really started up again Brian's parents stopped in for a quick visit on their way home from a really long trip through the US and Canada. On Saturday I had the brilliant idea to have them, Brian's brother and my parents over for dinner. Well, that really was a brilliant idea, but I chose to make pizza on the grill which although very tasty, isn't a good thing to make for a crowd - unless you have a professional chef to make it for you. And I don't. The pizzas turned out great - and it was a hit, but it was really stressful because we could only grill 3 mini pizzas at a time (and I had 8 to do and 12 bread sticks). I couldn't have pulled the meal off without the help of my hubby and my moms. Most people were done eating before Brian and I were done grilling.

Here is my mom helping me roll out the bread sticks.

The prep tray - you have to have all toppings ready to go and out with you by the grill. This pizza...if I haven't mentioned makes more dishes to wash than anything I've ever made. Ever. Thankfully, my mother-in-law washed all of them. I love her. But not just because she washed my dishes. :)

The action - getting the toppings on the pizzas. This is a two person job, for sure!

The last two pizzas, some of the bread sticks and a small picture of some of the mess.

This is what the men were doing while we were cooking.

My parents
Brian's parents
Siblings - we missed the other 3 who couldn't make it. Yeah, I actually have 4 siblings now. I realized that at school this week when I was introducing myself to my students and realized that I could say that I had 4 brothers and sisters instead of just one (three are in laws, but still). Yes, I've been married for over two years, but for some reason, that just hit me.

We also got to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday the night before they left! It was her birthday and she still did all the dishes from the dinner I had made that night. And she pulled weeds in our landscaping two afternoons. That's the best house guest ever. I wish my kitchen were that clean right now. Perhaps I should quit blogging and go clean. Sigh.

We had a great visit and we can't wait to see them again! It had been 8 months and they finally got to see our new house!

2 comments:

Em said...

Great job hosting, Andrea!!

nat said...

I feel you about the pizzas on the grill being a two person job. After you talked about them on your blog earlier this summer, I decided to try it. We made them this past Saturday and I sure needed an extra pair of hands. The pizzas were delicious though!