Four years ago I moved back "home". Yes, I lived with my parents again - but I was student teaching and not only couldn't afford to live on my own but I also didn't have time to cook for myself, clean anything, or do my laundry. If it hadn't been for my mom, I may have been the mangiest student teacher around. Way back then it was just a blonde (Amy) a brunette (Emily) and a red-head (me). It was a hard year - lots of transition and we were so thankful to have each other. After a few months, we found a fantastic church - and although it took a little while, we got plugged in and got to know some wonderful women in the church and after time, many more of our friends moved to the area and church became a place of wonderful community.
Sadly, after a year after all seemed settled, people started to move, our church opened another campus and people changed campuses - we got married and started to go to first service. Church became, well, just a place to listen to a message and sing worship songs. I knew people at church, but my friends I had gotten to know over the last two years were at a different campus, in a different state or at a different service. It was not the great place of community it had been. This has been continuing on for almost two years now. It just doesn't feel right.
THIS morning, however, it felt like it should. I heard that the guy who used to lead worship for Christian Challenge was leading worship at our church's other campus. Brian and I decided to head to that campus this morning because this guy is AMAZING. We both wanted a little piece of college back for morning worship. He did not disappoint! We're praying he gets the job for the new worship pastor at this campus! In addition to an awesome morning of worship - there were tons of friends at church. We stayed and talked to people after church for a long time. It was what church used to feel like. It's what church should be like. It was just a refreshing morning full of good community and good worship!
School Starts Again
2 months ago

4 comments:
hey Friend, Who led worship? I enjoyed this post a lot. Once we taste what community and fellowship with believers can truly be this side of heaven, we know when its missing and we know when we are in the midst of it.
so is this other campus to which you refer, Mark and Em's Church?
I'm glad you finally felt like you had community and worship at the same time. I've been SO fortunate here in Fort Wayne...For the first time ever I didn't church hop at all - my first time at my new church I knew it was perfect. Though of course it does have flaws...but I love it. And the community is amazing (of course it's mostly Latinos so of course it's amazing!)
I miss you! I can't wait to see you in 9 school days!!!
D
Andrea I will strongly agree that The Little Drummer Boy is a pretty dumb song, HOWEVER, Josh Groban turns this lame song into a musical masterpiece. C'mon..I know you and Em are Grobanites too.
I've never heard Patrick sing O Come Emmanuel. I bet I would stick it under my favorites too. Is he the new singer at your church?!
It was a random conversation that my roommate Kara and I were having. We had just watched Grey's and Barbara Walter's special about the 10 most facsinating people of 2008 was about to come on. It was one of those once in a lifetime hilarious comments so I have used it everywhere possible. (on my blog, my facebook status, etc.)
Post a Comment